New Border Measures (34) (Review on restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals into Japan, requirements of on-arrival COVID-19 test, quarantine period after entry into Japan, and the daily limit of the total number of entrants)
September 26, 2022
1. Review on restrictions on new entry of foreign nationals into Japan Foreign nationals who apply for new entry into Japan based on either of the following categories (1), (2) or (3) below are no longer required to complete prescribed applications in the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) through the receiving organizations.
(1) Foreign nationals newly entering Japan for a short-term stay (less than three months) for purposes including business and employment
(2) Foreign nationals newly entering Japan for a short-term stay for tourism
(3) Foreign nationals newly entering Japan for a long-term stay
2. Review on requirements of on-arrival COVID-19 tests and quarantine period after entry into Japan For all cross-border travelers and returnees from countries/regions where the B.1.1.529 Omicron variant becomes dominant (all countries/regions except for those where COVID19 variants other than the Omicron variant become dominant, based on the New Border Measures (27) (February 24, 2022)), on-arrival test at the quarantine station, selfquarantine in places such as their own residence or accommodations, and refraining from use of public transportation are no longer required in principle.
3. Review on the daily limit of the total number of entrants The daily limit of the total number of entrants will be abolished.
(Note 1) The measures based on the abovementioned paragraphs will be implemented from 0:00 AM (JST) on October 11, 2022. These measures will also apply to those who have already entered Japan on the same date.
(Note 2) Due to the implementation of the measures based on the abovementioned paragraphs, the paragraph 1 of the New Border Measures (4) (December 26, 2020), the paragraph 1 (2) ⑦ of the New Border Measures (9) (March 5, 2021), the measure (2) of (Provisional translation) the New Border Measures (10) (March 18, 2021), the New Border Measures (28) (May 20, 2022) (hereinafter referred to as “the Measures (28)”), the New Border Measures (29) (May 26, 2022), the New Border Measures (30) (July 27, 2022), the New Border Measures (32) (September 1, 2022), and the New Border Measures (33) (September 13, 2022) will be abolished.
Meanwhile, the vaccination certificate of COVID-19 based on the New Border Measures (31) (August 25, 2022) will be as specified in the attachment to this Measures instead of the Annex 2 of the Measures (28), and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan (MHLW) will revise and announce the reviewed requirements if any modification arises. (End)
As to the detailed visa requirements, per the Japan Embassy, they would update information on the website as soon as it is decided.
Japan Embassy Website - https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/00_000035.html